If you are looking to take up a new activity that helps you become more healthy and happy, there are a lot of choices out there. For many people, doing martial arts is merely a way to improve strength and then pull some cool looking moves they have seen in movies. For people who have never been exposed to this kind of art and exercise, there is not much else to it. That could not be farther from the truth. Here are some ways taking any of the martial arts as a new hobby can improve your life.
- It can help you get in better shape. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have reported, on multiple occasions, that Americans do not get enough exercise. According to their research, only 20% of all people around the country actually get enough of it. Doing activities such as tai chi, kickboxing or jiu jitsu can help you lose weight, prevent type 2 diabetes, and lower your chances of getting heart disease. Getting any exercise on a regular basis will do this. Getting healthier also helps people feel better overall, physically but also mentally. Not all martial arts are the same but you would be hard pressed to not find one that matches up with your wellness goals. Few activities burn more calories than kickboxing classes. Older adults can also benefit from tai chi, which has been shown to improve balance. In one study, about 54% of participants in tai chi reported having better balance after taking tai chi classes.
- These workouts leave people stronger mentally. As you learn to do the moves an poses and just more about the history and philosophy around these activities, you will gain more mental strength. Many of these practices require a lot of mental fortitude that you will not get running on a treadmill. Many people report that after learning more about any of the martial arts and actually practicing it, they need a lot of discipline to continue the practice and to get better at it.
- This helps people with their emotions. Doing these activities can help you develop the ability to work through and manage your emotions. When you are practicing the moves, a lot of emotions are likely to show themselves. These include anger, frustration, and maybe even some anxiety. These are the same as you would experience in your day to day life. By doing these intense moves, you can handle them better. The practice does not turn them off, it just lets you manage them better. Learning this skill can help adults in the workplace, at home, and anywhere else they may find themselves angry, anxious, or frustrated.
- These can help you to be happier. We live in a time when we know more about the mind and about mental health. Any kind of physical activity can lead to better mental health and to more happiness. Doing any of the martial arts leads to even more mental health. Research has shown that participating in martial arts can help with ADHD, autism, addiction and a host of other issues and problems. People often report that after learning how to do these things leads to an increased sense of purpose and drive.
- This can help your social life. Humans are social creatures and we need to interact with each other. There are a lot of workouts that are great for you but do nothing but increase isolation. These activities provide adults with a place to go and share their interests with other like-minded people. Many people who take classes in this area find they are able to bond with the others in the class and those social bonds are very important. This is another way people live better lives when they are involved in these activities.
The history of martial arts dates back thousands of years. There are a number of reasons people, all over the world, have been doing martial arts for so long. There are scores of reasons why participating in this kind of workout does your body, mind, and soul some good. If you are looking for a new workout or hobby, this is a good one to try.