Working in law enforcement is very dangerous. Over the last decade, it has been estimated that more than 60,000 assaults are perpetrated against agents every year. More and more are turning to ballistic body armor to stay safe on the job. If you are looking to make a purchase of any kind of tactical body armor for yourself or an agency, there are some considerations you need to make to get the right equipment for your needs.
- Look at how much protection is needed. When you are looking at different kinds of police tactical gear and ballistic body armor, you need to spend some time thinking through what your actual needs are. This also means you need to look at the weapons you use and the kind of weapons your agency uses. In addition to worrying about what others may be carrying, you have to think about what you use. After making sure you know what will be needed to protect yourself and your people from injury from your own weapons, you need to think about what other threats you are going to be up against. You cannot get the right kind of protective equipment if you do not know what you need protection against.
- Look at how comfortable the gear is. You need to be able to move in the ballistic body armor. The people who will wear it need to be able to do their jobs. A big part of that is going top depend on how comfortable they gear is. There are times when comfort has to be sacrificed for safety but given the number of options people and agencies have available to them now, you should be able to find gear that is both comfortable and will provide the right amount of protection.
- Get the right fit. One way to look at this is to make sure the people wearing the body armor fits correctly. It is hard for any kind of body armor to work well and to be comfortable for the wearer if it does not fit the way it should. When people go to be fitted for their body armor, their weight and the dimensions of their body need to be correctly measured. You also have to make sure the gear is wearable in the climate where you are located.
- What is the look you need for the gear. If you are getting the ballistic body armor that will be used with standard uniforms, you may need it to match. If the people who will be wearing it need to blend in, there are different kinds of camouflage that you can consider for your gear. Again, it is important to think about what your needs are in terms of the look of your body armor. If people will only be wearing it under their clothing, this may be less of an issue.
- Make up your budget. Before you set out to look for any kind of equipment for yourself or an agency, it is important to know exactly how much you will be able to spend. The good news when it comes to ballistic body armor is that there are a lot of options in terms of how much you will have to spend for your gear. It is important to remember that you can work with most companies that make these kinds of equipment. While cost is always a factor when it comes to buying new equipment, it should never be the only factor or even the most important factor. The most expensive equipment may not always be the highest quality and the cheapest may end up costing you more money. The key is to stay within your budget while getting the gears that can best keep you and your people safe.
While there is no way to get rid of all of the risks that people working in law enforcement face, it is possible to provide yourself and your people with the best equipment to keep them as safe as possible. Getting the right ballistic body armor can go a long way to keeping everyone safe on the job.